Freshman year of college is alive with countless changes: both those good, and those bad. But for most students, one of the most major changes becomes real even before stepping onto campus.
Roommates.
There are those few lucky students who receive singles their first year, but the majority face sharing their space with at least one complete stranger, if not multiple. You know when to expect your older brother to stumble home on a Saturday night, or how long your sister takes in the shower. But when the first day of orientation comes, you know very little about your new housemate. And like most aspects of life with Type 1 diabetes, managing these new changes is only more complicated with a chronic illness in tow.
Do you tell your roommate about your diabetes before you meet in person? How much insulin should you bring? Where are you going to store your supplies? Should your RA know? What about your professors?
First, talk over how to manage things with your doctor or health care provider. They will be able to give you advice in sync with how you've been managing your health for years. Next, figure out how you will receive new supplies as those you bring from home run low. If you use a mail order company, look into forwarding the supplies to your new address on campus. Or, report to Mom and Dad your supply levels during those vital calls back home. As for storage solutions, buy an under-the-bed container to keep everything together (if you have a fridge in your room, a small plastic notecard box is a great place to keep insulin cool and organized).
But now back to the roommates.
Over the summer, I wrestled with the dilemma of if I should tell my roommates about my diabetes before we ever met or on the first day in person. We had spoken some, and from what I could tell, they seemed nice enough, but I wondered how much they knew about Type 1 and what its like to live with. I also wondered if when we did meet in person, my diabetes would be something they would use to identify me by, rather than knowing me for me.
I ended up deciding to wait and tell my roommates in person about being diabetic. Don't let first impressions be unfairly tainted by false information or assumptions people may have about diabetes. Be honest and upfront immediately with those around you about what it takes to keep you happy and healthy.
Love always,
Emily
I found this whole write up to be extremely informative, but I don't have diabetes. I know a few people that do, I will pass this on to them.
ReplyDeleteHow did it work out with your roomies? Did you tell them? Did they accept you?
ReplyDeleteThis discussion would be helpful for other college students with Type 1 diabetes or similar situations.
ReplyDelete