Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Fashion, Its A Way of Life

"I don't do fashion, I am fashion." ~ Coco Chanel 


       Let's be honest, being trendy and fashionable and put together at all times is not realistic, and certainly not easy.  But when you have a cell-phone-sized object strapped to you at all times, fitting this extra item into your fashion repertoire is a challenge at best.


       There are going to be some items that you'll never really be able to wear and fully disguise your insulin pump, if this is what makes you feel the most comfortable.  I know for me, while I have become more and more comfortable discussing my diabetes with others, I'm still not always ready for the looks and questions that accompany the display of my pump.  Maybe I'll feel better about it someday, but for now, not today.


       Over the years of pumpdome, I have acquired some basic skills and tips for disguising the little device.  Pashminas come in a whole rainbow of colors - I have everything from midnight blue to pink to purple.  They add a splash of color to an otherwise drab ensemble, and the fabric itself is soft and flawy.  But more importantly, the scarves, when draped casually in any way that falls past my hip, can cover the bulge of my pump.  


       But one of the best devices I've ever found is the leg cuff by t&j design.  I heard about this from my endocrinologist, and apparently one of the recent Miss America's uses it herself.  For prom, weddings, graduation, any event which requires a garment other than pants, I pull out my leg cuff.  My pump is securely tucked away from any questioning eyes, and I know it won't slip out at any time during the night.


     Yet there are certain events which I will always face with dread.  Ok, maybe thats a tad dramatic.  But still, when summer rolls around, and the bikinis come out, I'm always reminded there are no pockets, no scarves, no skirts that I can hide my pump under.  People are going to stare at the device clipped to my suit, simply because they've probably rarely seen one before, and it's hard to hide.  This is a time when its best to just remember this device is designed to manage my health, and it's nothing to be ashamed of.  
     
       When I began this blog, I can't say I was 100% confident and comfortable with discussing my diabetes.  But I soon realized the stories I share, in addition with those offered by others, can create a social network that will benefit anyone who chooses to join.  The web allows us to use one another as a social commodity, exchanging ideas, brands, connections, almost anything with one another.  So I'm here opening myself up to the World Wide Web to anyone who needs me.  

1 comment:

  1. I'm so impressed with your honesty. It's so hard to have health issues that cause us to exhibit some vulnerability (cane/hearing aid in my case).

    ReplyDelete