I once wanted to become an atheist, but I gave up - they have no holidays. ~ Henny Youngman
The holidays are finally here! This means the arrival of candy canes, holiday parties, and of course gift giving! While as wonderful as they are, the holiday season can bring stress and unforeseen complications.
Different treats and goodies, especially if homemade, are difficult to adjust for in terms of insulin amounts. I always try to adjust on the lower side if at a party or gathering, because I'd rather run a little high than low. Carrying your carb counting book with you when you go out can be a good idea.
If you're hosting anything, tweaking recipes to reduce the carb or sugar count can be a good trick as well. Even though diabetics can eat any kinds of food as long as they adjust for them, lower carb foods are easier to eat and help reduce sugar spikes. Here's a recipe for a pumpkin cheesecake that's only 7 grams of carbs per slice!
In terms of holiday shopping, long lines and extensive wish lists can be draining for anyone, especially when lunch time rolls around and the food court is packed. I always like to carry a few snacks like granola bars with me in addition to the usual glucose tablets.
The idea of navigating holiday parties reminds me of a concept I learned at the beginning of the semester, the idea of a public sphere. This sphere is fostered by individuals who connect with one another separate from the greater forces of the government or public institutions. Holiday gatherings are much like specialized public spheres: ideas are exchanged, connections are made, and individuals become part of a larger group. This season, try using your public sphere to your advantage. You never know what social capital you may gain!
Happy Holidays!
No comments:
Post a Comment